Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My reaction for part 1

I just finished watching the first part of CNN's Latino in America. I thought most of it was interesting although I didn't really learn anything new. Maybe it's because I am very much exposed to Latinos and have experience and knowledge about the minority. Maybe the information in this documentary simply was unoriginal. All I know is that I didn't like the documentary's portrayal of Latinas teenagers as baby-making machines...

Soledad O'Brien did a good job at interviewing people with different stories. However, I feel like I've heard hundred variants of such stories. Girls having to work to help their single moms and skipping classes in high school, then getting pregnant. Teenager boys who don't want to be associated with their parents' Latino culture. "Illegal" immigrants who were raised here since they were 2 and still don't have the right to go to college or work. Racism in church against Latinos.

This country has some serious issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment