Monday, September 21, 2009

UF students to march for the Dream Act


I have been involved with a University of Florida student-run organization named CHISPAS for a little less than a year now. The group's acronym stands for the Coalition of Hispanics Integrating Spanish Speakers through Advocacy and Service.

The organization is relatively new and seeks positive changes for the immigrant community politically, as well as legally. With CHISPAS, I participated in a human rights march last spring break in Tallahassee to prompt Gov. Crist to arrange a meeting with the Coalition of Immokalee Workers. I also spent a week serving the migrant farm worker community in Immokalee. It was a very rewarding experience and I will talk about it later in this blog.

CHISPAS is up to new things this semester. Here is an e-mail I received about a march for the Dream Act:

" On Wednesday, September 23, 2009, youth from around the country will hold simultaneous actions in support of the DREAM Act - an education bill that would create a path to citizenship for undocumented young people. Each year, more than 65000 undocumented students graduate from high school, but because they lack immigration status, these students face uncertain futures.

In partnership with the United We Dream Network, a national volunteer-led network of undocumented youth and their allies, CHISPAS is organizing a demonstration/rally to take place on this date.


Please come out and show your support for all those students whose futures are uncertain, whose voices are silenced for fear of being caught, for thousands of DREAMers fighting for the opportunity to pursue higher education.


A short skit will be taking place at Turlington Plaza beginning at 12:35 pm.
"

I broke my camera this summer and I plan to buy a new one tomorrow to cover this event. I was already planning to do this when I realized today that this week's assignment for my editing lab is taking photos and writing cutlines for them. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment